- Bring home the bacon (work) - We both do this, and often it means tag-team parenting because Jerry works during the day, and I work mostly nights and weekends.
- Take out trash - He does this most of the time (when he remembers), but I've been known to do this once in a while.
- Take care of car - I insist on Jerry doing this. I am a typical woman in that I feel like I'm being totally taken advantage of at car places. I know NOTHING about cars.
- Mow the lawn - I have never mowed a lawn in my life. Don't plan on it. Jerry can have this one!
- Shovel - I tried, and I was sore for almost a week. I'm happy to call this "man's work!"
- Hang pictures - I'm usually the one to get out the hammer and nails. Unless I need a drill and those dry wall anchors, I'm on the job. Anything more complicated, and I make Jerry do it - but I do the leveling, because he would rather eyeball it.
- Change light bulbs - depends completely on how high up the light bulb is! If I can reach it or climb up to it, I will take care of it.
- Discipline kids - We both do a pretty good job of this, I think. We back each other up, and stay fairly consistent.
- Do taxes - I married a math teacher. That's his job.
- Change the oil - If I have to change the oil, I pay someone to do it. I'm lucky to be married to a guy who will do it himself.
- Put together furniture / build - If something comes in a box and needs to be put together, I usually do it. Not because Jerry won't or can't, but because I LOVE to do it! Give me some screwdrivers and a hammer, and I'm happy. If we're talking about actually building, that's Jerry's territory. Again, not that I won't or can't, but because it's what Jerry enjoys (at least I think he does!)
- Cook - We both cook. I am usually in charge of breakfast and lunch during the week, and Jerry does dinner, because I work.
- Clean - I do most of the cleaning, but Jerry helps. I have to give him a list of what do beyond picking up toys most of the time, because he sees the house with "man eyes" - he doesn't see the dust on the piano, the fingerprints on the glass table, or the streaks on the mirror like I do. We did decide at the beginning of our marriage, however, that I am more than happy to clean all the toilets if he promises to scour the tubs and showers, because I HATE doing that!
- Iron - Yeah, we don't iron much. BUT, I will say that when we first got married, I taught him how to iron his shirts. Now we just get them dry cleaned. If any more ironing needs to be done, I do it.
- Laundry - I am much better at this task, so I am glad to do it. I really don't mind washing/drying clothes - but I despise folding and putting it away. Jerry folds and puts away his own clothes and sometimes towels. I take care of the kids clothes and my own.
- Wash Dishes - We fill and empty the dishwasher. Otherwise, it would be overwhelming! We go through a lot of dishes. I do most of the hand washing, though. I'm not really sure why this is.
- Change diapers - I can't believe there are still men out there who don't do this, but it's true. We both change diapers equally, but I am in charge of cleaning out and washing the cloth diapers.
- Bathe children - Currently, this task usually falls to Jerry because it's usually bedtime, and I'm nursing Luke or throwing in some laundry while he gets the girls bathed. I give Luke his baths. Once he's done nursing, I'm sure this will be more equally split again.
- Take kids to practices - Right now this is just Bella and gymnastics. I take her if I can, but if I have to work, Jerry takes all the kids along and goes.
- Put kids to bed - We do this together - the whole bedtime routine - stories, songs, and prayers. Occasionally, I'm at work late, and Jerry has to go solo on this one.
- Tell kids to "Wait until your father gets home!" - Do people still do this?
- Pay bills - I put this under "women's work" because I think of it that way. I wasn't sure where it traditionally fell, but I do pay all the bills online. I was always better at balancing my checkbook than Jerry when we were dating.
- Grocery shop - Jerry does this 85% of the time. If I go, I end up getting 15 things that weren't on the list! I have no willpower when it comes to shopping. As my mom says, I can find something I "need" no matter where I am.
- Clothes shop - I do 95% of this. I love clothes, so I have no problem with this!
- Decorate - I consult with Jerry, but I take care of most of this as well. He likes to have an opinion, but... well... it's women's work! ;)
What is your household like? Do you stick to mostly traditional gender roles, or are you a more "modern" family?