Welcome!

Come take a trip with me on my wild ride as the mother of 3 sweet "babies".

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Breastfeeding

Yep, that's right, I'm thinking about breastfeeding today. This morning I attended a training for Parent Educators (that's me!) on how to support breastfeeding for the families that we serve.  It was very informative!

Now, I have 3 children, all of whom I have breastfed.  In fact, as you can see from my ticker on the right, I am still proudly nursing my youngest.  I thought I knew pretty much all there is to know about breastfeeding.  There are some major benefits that Jerry and I learned about at our "training" back when I was pregnant with Bella (they gave us a list of 100, but I only remember a few):

  • More immunities for baby

  • better bonding for mother and baby

  • It's free! (Jerry's fav. benefit)

  • Helps mom lose weight (one of my favs!)

  • Can't beat the convenience - lift shirt, place baby

  • reduces risk of SIDS

  • decreased ear infections for baby

  • decreased risk of obesity for baby when older
Plus, there's the biologist in me that just looks at breastfeeding as an extremely natural way to feed our young.  It is why we are called MAMmals, by the way.  And, as Mr. Jim Lockard (biology / environmental studies teacher at SME) pointed out to me years ago - it's one of the reasons we have lips!

But - there's always room to learn more!!

Did you know....

  • Research shows that short and long-term illnesses are linked to artificial feeding.

  • American Academy of Pediatrics recommends BF until at LEAST a year.

  • The AAP also recommends waiting until 6 months to introduce ANY other foods if you are breastfeeding.

  • BF reduces mom's risk of osteoporosis.

  • A mom can re-lactate within 6  months of weaning if they change their mind.

  • Breast milk is a living fluid (much like blood), and under a microscope, you can actually see the antibodies killing the viruses and bacteria.  Take that!
As you can see, I'm pretty passionate about breastfeeding.  I know it's not possible for all mothers, and I am by no means putting anyone down. I just want to get across how I personally feel about the importance of breastfeeding.  I'll end with a quote that shares my excitement:


If you had a wonder drug that was safe, effective, readily accessible, engineered for individual needs, environmentally friendly, painless, had immediate onset, offered long term protection, was free, and had, as a side effect, weight loss for the provider, would you use it? 
We have that drug: BREAST MILK!
- Nancy E. Wight MD, FAAP, IBCLC

No comments:

Post a Comment